What is average interest rate on private student loan?

Discussion in 'Private Student Loans/Student Loans' started by JenniferGo, Aug 9, 2016.

Welcome to the Find Some Money Forum
I Need 1000 Dollars Right Now

I Need 500 Dollars Right Now

I Need 100 Dollars Right Now

- The Find Some Money Forum is a community of members dedicated to helping each other Find More Money.

- On this forum you will find information on making money, saving money as well as investing money

1. JenniferGo

JenniferGo Moderator

My DH is thinking of going back to school and I wanted to know what the average interest rate on private student loans were. I don't think he can get a grant or scholarship or student loan because of his circumstances so were looking for the cheapest private student loans. Has anyone here had any experience with private student loans and what is the average interest rate on private student loans. We want to consider all the options before we make a decision. Any ideas? we'd love to know!
    Alistair likes this.
  2. Alistair

Alistair Newbie

A lot of people dismiss Federal Student Aid and Scholarships without checking if they are eligible, you should definitely get your husband to check whether or not he might be eligible for help.

The best way to get the cheapest Private Student Loan is through price comparison sites such as Credible.com and SimpleTuition.com. I used SimpleTuition.com to get a quote on a student for an American University and the best results were College Ave and Citizens Bank who were offering 2.01% to 8.3%. The real rate you get will depend on your husbands credit score.

To compare a Federal Direct Loan interest is around 4.39% which is usually fixed. The Private student loans might vary from year to year so while 2.01% from College Ave might seem attractive the rate might swell higher when you graduate and there will be no loan forgiveness if you fail to make repayments on time.