Are there any ways to get out of a car loan? no longer want my car

Discussion in 'Personal Finance Q & A' started by LaughDontCry, Jul 19, 2016.

Welcome to the Find Some Money Forum
I Need 1000 Dollars Right Now

I Need 500 Dollars Right Now

I Need 100 Dollars Right Now

- The Find Some Money Forum is a community of members dedicated to helping each other Find More Money.

- On this forum you will find information on making money, saving money as well as investing money

1. LaughDontCry

LaughDontCry Newbie

Are there any ways to get out of a car loan? I no longer need or want my car because I've decided to use public transport as I attempt to shore up my finances. I took out the car loan on a SUV and the maintenance on the vehicle are draining me. Enough is enough and I want to get out of this car finance contract. There must be a way to get out of a car loan so please give me some ideas.
    Quentin and Alistair like this.
  2. Alistair

Alistair Newbie

There is no real way to get out of a car loan without hurting your credit score. You could choose to default on the debt but that would make you delinquent on debt secured on property which means the repossession would stay on your credit file for 7 years.

You should speak to your car finance company to see if you can get out of the contract. You might need to pay a penalty but it might be worth it if you want to shore up your finances. You could sell the car with the car finance companies permission but the price you sell will almost certainly be less than the debt which means you'll continue to make a payment even without a car.

Have you thought about car pooling? If you share the vehicle with people you trust you could offset some of the costs or all of it and pay the car payments with other peoples money.
    Quentin likes this.
  3. Quentin

Quentin Newbie

The only way would be a repossession so you become delinquent on the debt. I would advise against this because you wont get access to real credit for 7 years after which you will have to start building your credit score again.