I need help with my light bill

Discussion in 'Personal Finance Q & A' started by Bizzy_Lizzy, Jul 21, 2016.

Welcome to the Find Some Money Forum
I Need 1000 Dollars Right Now

I Need 500 Dollars Right Now

I Need 100 Dollars Right Now

- The Find Some Money Forum is a community of members dedicated to helping each other Find More Money.

- On this forum you will find information on making money, saving money as well as investing money

1. Bizzy_Lizzy

Bizzy_Lizzy Newbie

I need help with my light bill. I don't use too much gas but my electricity usage is high and I'm having difficulties paying the light bill. I'm convinced the energy companies are ripping me off because by usage and light bill goes up every time. I'm on a low income, can I get help from anywhere?
    Miles likes this.
  2. Miles

Miles Newbie

When you say I need help with my light bill I'm assuming your mean electricity and utility bills. You mention that your energy bills keep rising. I would advise you to contact your utility company to make sure you are on the right tariff and are not being ripped off because the electricity company made a mistake.

You should also look at your energy usage, can you make any cutbacks anywhere? You should definitely look into a Government Assistance Program called LIHEAP which helps low income families by helping them keep their home warm in winter and cool in summer.
    Bizzy_Lizzy likes this.
  3. Bizzy_Lizzy

Bizzy_Lizzy Newbie

Yes, when I say I need help with my light bill I mean electricity bill, force of habit. Anyway I am on a low income will I be eligible? How can I apply for LIHEAP?
    Miles likes this.
  4. Miles

Miles Newbie

If your income and household size are within the limits shown below you can apply for help with light bill :)

Household Size* Maximum Income Level (Per Year)
    1 $17,655
    2 $23,895
    3 $30,135
    4 $36,375
    5 $42,615
    6 $48,855
    7 $55,095
    8 $61,335

To find out if you are eligible for the benefits you should contact your state or tribal LIHEAP office.

For help applying for LIHEAP benefits, you may also call this toll-free number: 1-866-674-6327